Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tips from the Experienced Walker




I'm lucky to know someone that did the 3 day last year and was able to have dinner with her this week to pick her brain a bit. Kris, long-time Stokes family friend, reiterated the NO COTTON edict given us by the Komen trainers. I'm definitely going to have to get some more workout clothes that are nylon and spandex (Let's all try to avoid the mental picture of what that's going to look like!). She also gave me some tips about making 2 nights in a little hot pink pup tent a little more comfy.

The final day of the walk is concluded with a closing ceremony. The ceremony doesn't begin until all walkers are done with the walk and have arrived at the ceremony location. Kris recommended sleeping in a little on that last day rather than getting an early start so that we don't spend several hours at the ceremony location waiting for the other walkers to finish.

It was great to get some inside info from someone that has been there and done that. Kris helped ease my mind a bit and make me feel better prepared as Jenn and I continue our training.

Thanks Kris!!

On the training front, I'm checking routes and calculating mileage in other areas Jenn and I can walk so that we don't get bored from walking the same route all the time. Plus it will be good to test ourselves on different types of terain.

I'm going to REI later to check out some of the waist packs they have (NOT fanny packs, mind you). We'll have to carry several things with us during the walk - water, sunscreen, snacks, first aid items, camera, etc - so we'll need to have packs that can fit everything but hopefully not be too obtrusive. I want to get one soon so I can wear it on our training walks and get used to the weight and feel of it.
Laura

No comments: