Saturday, January 9, 2010

All Red in the Face

Despite my nerves, the new training crew seems like it will be great. We did a three mile timed walk/run for the runners sake, so they'd see what pace group they fall in. Each pace group is named for a city that a well-known marathon is run in. I'm in the LA group, 14 minute and up pace. I can usually do a 16:15 if I put thought into it but I ended up with a 16:45 average. That includes my warm up mile (after sitting on the cold asphalt for an hour for orientation), so I can live with it for now!

The morning didn't really go as I thought it would be. I thought we'd do the walk/run BEFORE orientation and for some reason, I thought that the walkers were just doing a mile. So I didn't go completely prepared for the morning. Meaning, I went sans my ball cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Ugh, on that last mile, I could feel the morning sun beating down on my face. I took so many rounds of an antibiotic that causes sun sensitivity, before my sinus surgery that the meds affected my skin's tolerance to the sun. I can burn even at 10:00 AM on a January morning, so I was a bit worried at how RED my face was when I got back to my car. I think I lucked out, my skin tone seems back to normal, but I really need to be more careful! It goes to show that going overprepared for what you think you are up for in a new situation isn't a bad idea.

I'm curious to see how things go with this group, but over all, my first impression is very good! I also will get a chance to see my Boob crew friends tomorrow...I don't think another group will be able to take their place!

No comments: