Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hot, Hot, Hot!


It has been HOT HOT HOT in San Diego County these past few weeks. Summer took a little while to come but now we're all living for air conditioning! Last summer, I was not as good about training in the elements. If it got too hot, I just headed for the gym. And I avoided rain at all costs.

The weekend before the three day last year, it was freakishly hot. In the 90's, I believe. Had it been that hot the next weekend, I would have been in trouble. Even though I slow down in the heat, I'm trying to carefully make headway in my walking habits. I join Boob Camp Bekki's group even if it hasn't cooled off by our 6:00 PM call time. Bekki is very careful and keeps us from doing too much (going too long, doing too many hills) in the heat, but even what she plans for us is more than I tried last year.

As for training while walking in the rain, well. It might be awhile before I have to worry that! In the meantime, I know how to keep hydrated (plenty of water plus Gatorade to replenish electrolytes) and it never hurts to pick up a slurpee help cool off after a walk! 7-11's now offer Crystal Light flavored slurpees, all that icy goodness sans the sugar and calories. Woohoo, now THAT is a treat!

No comments: