Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We're getting closer!!

Sunday. It was another early morning of getting up and getting going when I just wanted to putz around. It wasn't light yet. And it was foggy, too. I got ready and planned to just pound out the miles on the treadmill at the gym, but I was in the mood to go to the Lake. Where I realized that I would walk a little slower. Hmmmh. Church starts at 10:30, what do I have time to do?

I have to admit, that most of the time, I just want to pound out the miles. Prove I can do it, and then go on my merry way. But, my body needs the practice of what walking in the 3 day will really be like. We are getting closer every week to the Big 3 Day! I'd like to walk at a 13 minute pace to get my miles done. But in reality, the 3 Day is going to be three, all-day, days. More like a 20 minute mile or close to it. With lots of stops, bathroom breaks, food breaks, sock changing breaks. And I realized that I need to get out on the streets more often. Get used to having to stop at cross walks, having to slow down for slower pedestrians in front of me, dealing with whatever normal walking obstacle comes my way...that don't happen on the treadmill. So I resolved as I drove away from the house that I'd do as much as I can outside of the gym. And while the Lake is nice, it certainly doesn't have any stoplights. I need to make some more walking routes on city streets and walk the routes!

At that moment it was still too dark to go to the lake. I decided I'd walk at the gym for about four miles, then do a loop at the lake. But I'd forgotten my sweat towel. And my iPod had completely died. And there wasn't a good movie playing for me to watch as I walked. Sigh. I think I just wanted to go back to bed! Less than two miles into it and I knew I needed to make a change or it was back to home and to the bed that was calling my name. I drove over to the Lake and got a really good walk going. Made it 10.5 miles in all for the morning. And my feet were feeling pretty decent, even.

I am going to make an effort to walk less at the gym and the lake, and as often as possible, hit the streets and pavement to train. Though if its the gym or nothing, I'll hit the gym and not think twice about it. This Saturday, I'm planning to walk around Mira Mesa. Should be some good training with that awesome hill on Sorrento Valley Parkway. And did I mention that I'm going to be walking right by some restaurants that are reported to have really good breakfast burritos???

Happy streets and trails!
Jenn

No comments: