Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Still Walking!


It's been over three months since I've blogged on this site and boy, has life been crazy! My biggest obstacle in keeping up on things was an unexpected hand surgery I needed back in March. For months I'd had a very small bump on my hand and all of a sudden one Saturday morning, it started swelling and became very red. I went into the urgent care clinic on Monday after work and was referred to an orthopedic hand surgeon, who fit me in for a Wednesday morning appointment. He in turn felt that it would require surgery, as it was getting bigger even as I was on antibiotics, and would most likely get worse before it got better. He made room for me in his surgery schedule for the VERY NEXT DAY! And five days after it started swelling and showing signs of infection, I was wheeled into the operating room and put under general anesthesia.

When the doctor opened up the abscess, all he found was...pus. He was expecting to find a splinter or some kind of foreign matter. He had the pathologist run extra blood tests, but all came back "normal." There wasn't any explanation for what caused the infection...until a few weeks later when two small plant horns worked their way out of the healing, 3/4" incision. Talk about STRANGE! He had warned me that he may have missed something after the surgery. And the thorns had most likely worked themselves down fairly deep. He and I were both relieved to finally find out what caused the problem in the first place.

The surgeon did a fabulous job. I still have some scar tissue at the incision site which means don't have 100% range of motion back but I'm happy with all that he did. My training took a back seat for several weeks but I'm still pretty comfortable with a six mile walk.

I'll catch you up on a few more things that have been happening as I now actively train for the 2009 Susan G. Komen Three Day. Stay tuned for more blogs to come in the next few days!

No comments: