Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 14, 2008

Thursday, August 14th marked "100 days" until the 3 Day walk in San Diego. It is also the day we laid my aunt to rest. A terribly sad, sad day for our family and her friends. Laura and her mom came, as did another friend of mine who had just lost her mom two days before my aunt passed away. Their presence was such a comfort, to me and to my family.

I still can't believe that my aunt is already gone. I know that is a part of how the mind deals with grief and tragedy. Denies it for a while. It doesn't make it an easier knowing that is what my mind is doing. Reality is sinking in, though I'm sure it will take some time to accept what has happened. I read on a blog of a previous walker that cancer survivors line the streets and cheer for us as we walk in the "3 Day", to say "thank you." When I read that, I started crying. I thought, "oh I won't be able to handle that." But maybe by November, I will be able to. I'll probably go hug them all. I am happy, so happy, that we're making some progress in the fight against breast cancer. They are the living proof of that. We just haven't won the war...yet. Someday we will. So, I walk.

Laura and I started this blog with the intent of keeping you informed and entertained. The past couple of blogs have been a big change from the attitude we have striven to maintain. Losing someone to breast cancer is a sad reality of this fight. Smiles and laughter are a little harder to come by these days for me. But thanks for reading and "walking" with us through this journey. And for your love, support and understanding.

--Jenn

Pictures
Top: Auntie Jil and Baby Jenny
Mother's Day 1975

Bottom: Auntie Jil, Jenny, Rachel and Earnie
Christmas Day 1975

No comments: