Friday, August 8, 2008

In Loving Memory...

Breast cancer runs in my family. That is why I walk. What I haven't shared on this blog is that my aunt's breast cancer came back with a vengeance. Metastasized all over her body. She'd been hospitalized three times in the past month. This last time, things started to go downhill really quickly. My aunt has always been a very private person, and I didn't feel comfortable sharing anything about her health. Though it was hard not to, because more and more, she was the driving force behind my walking, I felt it was the right thing to do.

I still thought we had some time. I knew it was really bad, but she had been fighting so hard and had survived so much already. But I was wrong. This morning, around 9:00 A.M., she suddenly passed away.

I never imagined when I decided to do this in April, that she wouldn't be around for the walk. I thought, I hoped, we had a few more years left. I never thought I'd be walking in her memory. A life cut way too short by breast cancer.

In Loving Memory of: Karen "Jil" Warn. Beloved aunt. Greatly missed already.

--Jenn
June 8, 2008

No comments: