Sunday, August 17, 2008

Putting the X in Cross Training

Last month, a friend of mine was encouraging me to do more "cross training" as I train for the three day. I kept thinking, but I've got to keep walking! Got to get my body ready for the mileage. Then, the blisters happened. Problems with the shoes. (Still in pair #3, they are just a little too big, but it's hard getting over to RoadRunner to try them in a small size.) I resigned myself to taking time to let the blisters heal by doing other activities--I've taken the same amount of time as a long walk, and filled it up with biking, hiking, the eliptical, etc. Cross training.

It has really helped my walking. I can walk faster than before and it's exciting to see my performance improve. I actually have a hard time keeping up my heart rate while walking now. I'm adding in more inclines. I'm also jogging a little, just to add a little twist to my time on the treadmill.

I have been trying to get into mountain biking. My first two tries have been sad. The first time, I went on a path at Mission Hills, level 2 (out of 5). Okay, I admit it, I was kind of freaked out going downhill! Loose sand, rocks, gravel--it's just a little more scary than going down hill on a paved path! Then, I went back this past weekend to a level 1 trail. I just had the hardest time. I couldn't seem to adjust to the loose sand, and then when I'd get into a groove, my little purse/keyholder would fall off my handle bars on a good bump. So I'd have to stop, go back and get it, get back on the bike, start up again. Sigh. More frustrating than fun! So I'm not the expert mountain biker. But I'll keep working on it! And in the meantime, I'm having fun cross training. :0)

--Jenn

No comments: