Monday, August 4, 2008

Socks, Socks, Socks

My "favorite" game to play as a youth group leader in college was "Sock War." It's been a while since I've played, but I believe that the strategy involved two teams: offense and defense. The goal: to find, capture and bring back to your home base a predesignated that had been hidden by the other team. To protect your item, or to attack the defending team, you used socks as weapons. If you got hit with a sock, you had to play dead for a minute. To add to the fun and element of surprise, you played in the dark, or, with a strobe light going. Really, it was a lot of fun! The strategy was to have tons of of socks. The more ammo, the better.

When I was at RoadRunner, another shopper overheard my conversation with Rick the marathon running shoe guy. She and I started talking and she mentioned getting double layered socks. I told her Rick had given me a pair to try. She then told me her secret to being blister free. Keep your feet dry. And change your socks often! I found out that this lady walks/runs races where you do a marathon one day and a half marathon day the next. She told me that the years she changed her socks every couple hours (up to five times in a day), she didn't get any blisters. She also mentioned that if the opening ceremonies or the beginning of the walks take place on grass, make sure to put plastic bags over my socks and tuck the bag ends into my shoes. There'll be dew on the grass and therefore, dew on my socks unless I safeguard against moisture. I was pretty excited to get the tip. Then I started calculating how many pairs it would take at $7.00 a pair. Maybe I need to get a second, part time job or something to afford all of those socks! Well, I do recycle cans...but can I recycle that many by November?? LOL. I'm sure things will work themselves out! But the next time you think about throwing your aluminum can away, would you save it for me?

--Jenn

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am all about the sock. I actually created the SockGuy "Walk On!" sock.

Love you.